Monday, March 16, 2009

Kay's Spaghetti Sauce



Serves: 4

2 T. oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (4 oz.) mushrooms, undrained
1 1/2 t. parsley
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 t. basil
1/4 t. oregano
1 c. red wine

Heat oil in large pot. Cook beef, onion and garlic until beef in browned; drain. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, crushing the herbs as they are added. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour, 30 minutes. Serve over pasta.


Tips: This is probably my favorite meal, good ol' homemade spaghetti sauce. Although this is not an especially quick recipe, it is easy to put together and the taste is far superior to store-bought sauce. If you need to increase the amount of sauce but want to keep the cost down, just use more tomato sauce and spices and leave the ground beef at one pound. I will admit that I don't know much about wine but really any variety of red wine can be used. A light red like, Rose, will have a lighter flavor but I enjoy using a Merlot for a fuller flavor. Although ground beef is my favorite for flavor, you can use just about any ground meat including turkey, venison or elk. I also shared this recipe at Kitchen Stewardship's Carnival of Super Foods & Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Recipe from my mom, Kay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate this almost as much as things on a bun while I was going through high school and I always loved it. Love you Kay!!

Kitchen Stewardship said...

The wine must make this sauce incredible - I'll have to remember that next time I attempt homemade spag sauce! :)

Thanks, Katie

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you thought of a recipe or coupon! Feel free to share any tips you came across as you prepared your food.